Monday, March 23, 2009

Cemen (Turkish Tomato Paste Dip)



Finally! I created English version of my blog. It is going to have different content from my other blog called "Eylem's Taste" but it will include most of the same recipes where possible. I'm starting with "Cemen" recipe , because all my friends love it.
It's really easy to make it. It will just take 5 minutes to prepare but the taste is absolutely yummy!
I also recommend having English Earl Grey Tea on the side.



Ingredients

1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
1/2 cup walnut
1 clove garlic
1/4 tbsp black pepper
1/4 tbsp red pepper ( if you like hot make it hot)
1/4 tbsp cumin
1/4 tbsp garlic salt
1/2 tbsp dry mint ( or fresh mint 1/4 cup)
1/2 tbsp oregano
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1/4 cup corn oil (or vegetable oil)

Put the whole tomato paste into a bowl. And grate the walnut with the food processor, just for 5 seconds, make sure that it does not become powder. Add walnut into the paste and also all other ingredients. Grate the garlic with the granter and add it to the bowl. And mix them well with the table spoon. That's it!
It's going great with the crackers or Italian bread.

12 comments:

  1. Ellerine saglik canim nefis gorunuyor !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and make it all the time. Just a word of advice though its dip not deep lol! Thanks for posting this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. do they sell online in Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made a food called "cemen" with the ingredient "cumin".

    Hats off to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. wrong. proper cemen needs breadcrumb

    ReplyDelete
  6. It actually called "çemen". such as sounds like "ch" . It also called "acuka". It has several names actually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never heard anyone use breadcrumbs. However we use it for "kofte".

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems very tasty so I'm going to try. I'm pretty sure I'll love it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Correct with home made crumb. I lived in Aydin, çine for many years and that's how it's made


    ReplyDelete
  10. We've had this in Turkey many times and (a question) we have asked for "ezme" and received this

    ReplyDelete
  11. How many servings is this please? And how many days will it be okay in the fridge? Thanks, Catherine

    ReplyDelete